Thursday 8 November 2012

Friday 10th November

No wind today - glorious.  Colin was thrilled as he's playing golf.  He went off really early to practice beforehand.  Last week he shot his best ever score of 81 so is hoping to equal or beat that today. 

I had so much fun setting up and starting my blog yesterday that I completely forgot I was supposed to call Joyce, Colin's 91 year old aunt.  Affectionately referred to in the family as AJ (Auntie Joyce) she is an amazing person - one of that tough breed of Englishwomen who lived through the war.  She lives alone and looks after herself, except for a cleaner who comes once a fortnight (only in recent years) to help with the heavy stuff.  I attribute her remarkable health (no cane, no hearing aid, all her faculties) to two things - firstly she has never had a car, doesn't even drive, so has had to walk everywhere, and secondly she has only one loo in her house and that's upstairs - so she has no choice but to use the stairs.   I call her once a week and chat for at least 20 minutes - about trivialities.  Nothing much happens in her life so I tell her all the details of ours.   Because of the time difference (2 hours in English winter, since the clocks went back) I have to plan quite carefully when to call - I don't want to disturb her meal times or her afternoon nap - then next thing it's our supper time and before I know it it's too late.  As happened last night.   I'll call this evening and apologise, though my call times are not cast in stone.  I'll tell her about the blog - she won't really understand, any more than she does about the ebooks but she'll be interested - that's the sort of person she is, and why she is still such a lively 91 year old.

I have the whole morning to myself - though need to do a few normal chores like laundry,  take Phoebe for a walk - though that's not a chore, then before Colin gets home from golf I go to bridge.  The club I play at on Friday afternoons is in Fish Hoek, the seaside resort where I was born.  It would in normal circumstances be 10 minutes away but circumstances are not normal.  They are doing the most full scale roadworks ever - replacing all water and sewerage systems at the same time.  This is a job that has not been done since the 1880s!  On a narrow stretch of road between the sea and the mountain so there is no possible deviation.  So stop and go traffic, often backing up several miles in both directions.   The roadworks have been underway for over 2 years now  and at least another 2 to come.   The sad thing is that it is killing Fish Hoek.   All along the Main Road are shops to let.  There used to be two thriving hotels in the centre - one is now an old age home, the other is to let.   For my bridge I have a great solution - I now catch the train, which runs between the road and the sea - a beautiful train trip - around August/September you can see whales if you're lucky.   The station is only 5 minutes walk from here so easy peasy, not that much further at the other end.   Saves time and money (with petrol going up every month) and good for the environment - a win win situation!

Will go and soak some cashews now to make vanilla cream for a strawberry parfait tonight - one of Colin's favourites.  Easy to make, dramatic looking and quite yummy.   I didn't invent the recipe - just adapted it a little.

Ingredients
Vanilla Cream
1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked at least a couple of hours
1 dessertspoon raw honey
1 piece of vanilla pod, say 1 inch long

Blend together in high speed blender (like Vitamix) - till a sheen forms on the top of the cream.   You might need to add a little water.  Chill in fridge.

Fruit
1 punnet strawberries
1 banana
1 piece, say banana sized, pineapple
1 teasooon raw honey
I tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or less to taste)
In food processor process half the strawberries, with the honey, lemon and banana,  till consistency of jam.
Chop remaining strawberries and the pineapple into bite sized pieces.   Keeping a few bits for decoration, mix the rest with the jammy mixture.

Assemble in parfait glasses (if you have them, otherwise something like a wine glass will work fine), starting with cream then fruit mix, repeat and decorate with the extra fruit.

Serve well chilled.  Enjoy!

Till next time :)






No comments:

Post a Comment